It may be jarring to know that seven out of 10 people in the U.S. have been prescribed a drug over the past year. It may be more surprising to know that one out of every 10 people are now taking an antidepressant; among women in their 40’s and 50’s, that number is one in four.
The rates of depression have skyrocketed over the last two decades, and the trend is steadily rising. Many experts believe that this is due to a myriad of reasons, but the go-to treatment for practitioners thus far have been SSRIs and other antidepressant drugs.
Though depression is a very real and substantial issue, more and more data is coming forth that physicians are moving too quickly to medication. A study published in the journal Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics found that nearly two-thirds of the patients who had been given a diagnosis of depression within the previous 12 months did not meet the criteria for clinical depression as described by the psychiatrists’ bible.
The lead author of the study, Dr. Ramin Mojtabai, said that, “The vast majority of individuals diagnosed with depression, rightly or wrongly, were given medication… It’s not only that physicians are prescribing more, the population is demanding more.”
People are in pain—physical, mental, and emotional—and they want a way out. The public at large has only been able to relate depression relief to medications because that’s primarily what’s been marketed to us. As a society, we haven’t had the opportunity to learn about all the other, far more effective and far safer, options to reverse depression. But that’s all going to change today.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- What the shocking statistics for depression are (this is jaw-dropping!)
- What depression is (and what it affects).
- How depression impacts other diseases and increases mortality rates.
- How depression coincides with suicide rates.
- Why antidepressant drugs are largely ineffective.
- How prescription antidepressant drugs influence your hormones.
- What SSRIs are and what their potential side effects are.
- The shocking relationship between eating fast food and being depressed.
- Where the majority of your body’s serotonin is produced.
- Why the food you eat can radically shift your serotonin production.
- What studies are now showing about gluten containing foods and depression.
- How poor liver function can lead to depression.
- Why supplementing with vitamin C can reverse depression (and what the best sources are).
- What incredible supplement can help with dopamine-related depression.
- The surprising link between omega-3 fatty acids and depression.
- What ratio of omega-3’s to omega-6’s you really need.
- Where to find the best sources of essential fatty acids.
- 4 foods that combat depression and boost feel-good hormones.
- Where to find excellent food sources of tryptophan (the precursor to serotonin).
- Why exercise actually out-performs SSRIs in clinical studies.
- How vitamin D functions as an antidepressant.
- Why sleep deprivation and depression are intimately related.
- How the perception of your life’s events work to create your feelings.
- Why depression is actually valuable, and questions to uncover how depression is helping you.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
* Onnit.com/Model <== Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off!
* How To Grow Stronger From Stress with Pat Flynn – Model Health Podcast
* Boost Your Fat Loss With These 5 Tips For A Healthy Liver – Model Health Podcast
* Getting A Mindset Makeover with Alex Jamieson – Model Health Podcast
* The Hormone Cure with Dr. Sara – Model Health Podcast
* TEDx – How Chocolate Can Save The World
* Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!