Subscribe to The Model Health Show:
TMHS 79: How to Get Your Body Organized, Eliminate Pain & Be Ready to Run with Dr. Kelly Starrett
One of the biggest mistakes in conventional medicine has been the disconnection between psychology and movement. The health of your brain, nervous system, and endocrine system are all intimately tied to your ability to move.
A lack of natural movement creates stagnation in your mental, physical, and emotional health. But, what is natural movement anyway? And what are the things that are hindering our ability to move naturally?
Well, get ready, because Dr. Kelly Starrett is here to dissect these things for you and give you clear, comprehensive strategies to be the most healthy, functional person you can possibly be.
It’s been said that if you’re the smartest guy in the room then you need to find another room (in order to keep elevating yourself). Well, Kelly is running out of rooms to be in because he is often the smartest guy in the building. His humble and cool demeanor wouldn’t tell you that. Yet, it becomes pretty clear after talking with Kelly for a while that he can see and understand things about the human body that few people can match.
Kelly is a brilliant thinker that can literally see the faults in your physical mechanics and foresee future injuries before you’re ever diagnosed with anything. I’m talking about near superpowers here.
But, what makes Kelly Starrett such an amazing teacher and coach is the fact that he can break things down to a real world level for you. What are one or two daily practices that can get you out of pain, or better yet, avoid it from happening in the first place? What are the major flaws in our modern lifestyle that are wreaking havoc on our mobility? How can we “reorganize” our bodies to feel good during sport, leisure, and even while traveling? You’re about to gain access to this knowledge, plus a whole lot more right now!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Why we don’t have the “owner’s manual” for our own bodies.
- How making even small corrections in your lifestyle can up-regulate your health.
- Why sitting is a skill you need to learn.
- How many additional calories you can burn by standing more.
- What being on your smart phone can do to your posture.
- The shocking impact that standing desks can have on children’s health.
- Why practice does NOT make perfect (you’d better mind your myelination!)
- Why failing to recognize the connection between your psychology and movement is a huge mistake.
- Why you MUST learn how to do a resting squat.
- The #1 reason that people end up in nursing homes.
- Why Kelly and I are in love with the VariDesk.
- How to instantly reset your pelvic position and stabilize your spine.
- How writing a book can be hazardous to your health (funny, but true!)
- What poor sleep quality can do to your immune system.
- How to “uncompromise” yourself after being on a long flight.
- Why you’ll want to start “gut smashing” (especially before bed).
- How shoes can cause problems with running mechanics.
- Why you need to learn how to run even if you never plan on running.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/Model <== Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off!
- The Resting Squat – How Squatting Makes You More Human
- VariDesk Pro
- Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson
- Mobility WOD – YouTube
- Ready to Run: Unlocking Your Potential to Run Naturally by Kelly Starrett
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcast by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!
HEALTHY MEALS EVERYONE WILL LOVE
The Greatest Gift You Can Give Your Family is Health
When you gather your family around the table to share nutritious food, you’re not only spending quality time with them - you’re setting them up for success in all areas of their lives.
The Eat Smarter Family Cookbook is filled with 100 delicious recipes, plus the latest science to support the mental, physical and social health of your loved ones.