Subscribe to The Model Health Show:
TMHS 167: Taking on Major Food Companies & Being a Champion for Health with Vani Hari
“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.” This is a quote from the ever-wise Dale Carnegie. And this is the first statement that comes to mind when I think of the courage of Vani Hari.
Vani is an action-taker. She began her life like many of us in modern society… fast food, fast life, and a fast-track to a date with disease.
Her action-taking nature was being used against her, and it landed her in a hospital bed, facing invasive surgery, and an important life decision.
Vani was hurt. She, like millions of others, put her trust in the corporations that manufacture the food that landed on her plate every day. Through a series of events (that you’re going to learn about today) she discovered that many of these multi-billion companies were putting chemicals in their foods that were leading to serious (and sometimes fatal) conditions for more people than you can imagine.
When she was presented with this information she had a choice. She could sit back and complain, or she could actually do something about it. And she decided to act!
But how in the world can a person take on a multi-billion dollar company? They have deep pockets, sly marketing reps and “fixers”, and legions of lawyers paid top dollar to make sure that your concerns never see the light of day.
It is a modern day David & Goliath story… And you know how that ended for Goliath.
The road hasn’t been easy, but by looking fear in the face, taking inspired action, and having the heart to make a real difference, Vani has helped to make changes to the food system that you have likely experienced firsthand even though you may have never heard her name before.
Today we are honoring Vani, and we are fortunate enough to have her here to share her story. It’s inspiring, and it’s also laced with important life lessons. Enjoy, and please make sure to stay connected with Vani and The Food Babe Army because together WE are really the agents of change for the health of our future generations.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- How eating to “fit in” can lead to some big health challenges.
- How an invasive surgery triggered a transformation in Vani’s life.
- What surprising role your appendix plays in your health.
- What inspired Vani to leave her corporate job and pursue a career in health & wellness full-time.
- Why Kraft Foods used different ingredients in other countries for their super-popular macaroni & cheese.
- Why artificial food dyes are a huge potential health problem.
- How Vani was able to get multi-billion dollar food companies to make their products healthier.
- What some of The Sickening 15 are (and why you need to avoid them!).
- Why growth hormone is used in our food supply.
- The shocking amount of the world’s antibiotics that are given to livestock.
- How pesticides can seriously damage your health.
- Why shifting our demand is so critical to shifting our food system.
- How many synthetic ingredients are added to our food supply (this is crazy!).
- What GRAS is and how food companies use it to do what they want.
- Why there’s a weird stigma about organic foods.
- How fast food correlates with how we live our lives.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Organifi.com – Use the coupon code modelhealth for 20% off & a free book!
- Onnit.com/Model – Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off!
- The Secret Life Of Your Immune System – The Model Health Show
- FoodBabe.com – Find Vani right here!
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcast by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!
HEALTHY MEALS EVERYONE WILL LOVE
The Greatest Gift You Can Give Your Family is Health
When you gather your family around the table to share nutritious food, you’re not only spending quality time with them - you’re setting them up for success in all areas of their lives.
The Eat Smarter Family Cookbook is filled with 100 delicious recipes, plus the latest science to support the mental, physical and social health of your loved ones.