The human brain is a truly incredible organ. From storing our favorite memories to holding our ability to learn new information, the brain is a fascinating and complex structure that holds many roles within the body. The science behind brain function can be overwhelming, but today’s guest is going to break it down for you in a realistic, digestible way.
Dr. Lisa Mosconi studies the intersection of neuroscience and nutrition, more specifically how what we eat affects the health of the brain. She is also the author of one of my new favorite books, Brain Food.
On today’s show, she’s sharing the fascinating science behind how diet influences brain function long-term, and how to bring the most important pieces of research into your daily diet. We’re going to cover how you can actually eat for maximum brain power and disease prevention, and break down the nutrients and foods you can realistically incorporate into your lifestyle.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- The importance of distinguishing between scientific data and commonly held opinions.
- What nuclear medicine is.
- The surprising truth behind how genetics affect your risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
- How the blood brain barrier works.
- The main difference between brain cells and other cells in the body.
- What a brain reserve is, and how it works.
- Exactly what the brain is made of.
- How systemic inflammation affects the brain.
- The difference between dietary cholesterol and cholesterol in the brain.
- A list of nutrients that are critical for healthy brain function.
- Why organic food is important, particularly for women.
- The link between menopause and Alzheimer’s disease.
- What xenoestrogens are, and why you should avoid them.
- Why supplementing DHA can be dangerous for certain individuals.
- The best animal and plant sources of Omega-3.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Easemagnesium.com/model ⇐ Get an exclusive 15% off here!
- Organifi.com/Model ⇐ Use the coupon code model for 20% off!
- Brain Food by Lisa Mosconi
- Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson
- Skittles Highway Spill – Huffington Post
- Connect with Lisa Website / Twitter / Instagram
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!