Subscribe to The Model Health Show:
TMHS 194: The Human Diet & How to Get Deep Nutrition with Dr. Cate Shanahan
Most diets are really just guessing games. Even though a diet might claim to be the ultimate solution for health and weight loss, chances are they fail most people. And there’s a big (simple) reason why.
Since the beginning of history, humans have tried to eat everything. If you can get some of it in your mouth, somebody has tried to eat it. Sometimes it made them feel good. Sometimes it made them keel over and die. Most importantly, someone was there to document the results as time has gone on, and the foundational human diet was born.
For many years now, I often sit back and wonder what humans were really designed to eat, and if there’s really any “perfect food” for us. That question has driven me to keep searching, to keep experimenting, and to even roll the dice with my own food choices a time or fifty.
I’m so over taking courageous crap shoots with health now-a-days. I’ve settled in comfortably knowing that I can look back on the wisdom of our ancestors and know exactly what will help me be the healthiest, fittest version of myself.
This is why I love Dr. Cate Shanahan’s work so much. She has truly encapsulated what the human diet looks like. Her seminal work Deep Nutrition takes us all into the intersecting realms of our ancestral diet and what our genes truly expect from us. Today she is gracing us with her wisdom on The Model Health Show, and I’m truly honored to share her with you!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Why analyzing healthy people is the missing link in today’s medicine.
- How Dr. Shanahan began advising the Los Angeles Lakers.
- What The Human Diet is.
- What the 4 Pillars of World Cuisine are.
- Why people generally think that fresh foods refer only to plants.
- The 3 types of enzymes you need.
- Why fermented foods are a coordinated effort to make.
- How our senses were once used for safely testing.
- Which food compound has been found to be drawn to your joints.
- Which important nutrient helps hold our cells together.
- What the closest vegetable equivalent to bone broth would be.
- How eating organ meats were intertwined in our evolution.
- How to incorporate more movement and family involvement in food preparation.
- What commonly overlooked influences can affect your genetic expression.
- The shocking truth about how vegetable oils impact your body.
- How to upgrade your oils and fats for better health.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/Model – Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off
- Organifi.com – Use the coupon code model for 20% off
- PerfectSupplements.Com/model – Find the best-dessicated liver supplements here
- Movement Matters with Katy Bowman – The Model Health Show
- DrCate.com – Get your book bonuses!
- Deep Nutrition – The brand-new edition
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcast by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!
HEALTHY MEALS EVERYONE WILL LOVE
The Greatest Gift You Can Give Your Family is Health
When you gather your family around the table to share nutritious food, you’re not only spending quality time with them - you’re setting them up for success in all areas of their lives.
The Eat Smarter Family Cookbook is filled with 100 delicious recipes, plus the latest science to support the mental, physical and social health of your loved ones.