Bonus alert! I just couldn’t wait to share this episode with you. This week we’ve got a special bonus with the one and only Dr. Mark Hyman!
Mark is a 10, count’em, 10-time New York Times bestselling author. He’s a leading educator and advocate of functional medicine. Plus, (and most importantly) he’s someone with a courageous heart that has put him on the front lines for making change in what ends up on our dinner plates.
Mark had a big impact on me personally early in my career. He was one of the first people to provide me with evidence-based data on how type II diabetes could successfully be reversed. At that time, around a decade ago, it just wasn’t something you heard well-respected physicians talk about very often. He had a great communication style, and helped to empower people by making complex concepts understandable for everyone.
Today we’re tackling the topic of food controversy. There are obviously so many diets… so many theories… and so many belief systems about what diet works best for us as humans. What I want people to realize is that it’s never about what works best for all of us. It’s about what works best for YOU, right now, where you are in your life. And I want you to give yourself permission to change at any point you feel that your choices are no longer working for you.
It’s crazy that we can care so much that we actually become dogmatic about our diet beliefs. And from that we create separatism, and divisive judgements about other people who don’t believe what we believe. This has to stop. It’s important to embrace what works for us. But it’s also important to keep an open mind, and be willing to look at the facts when they present themselves.
That said, today Dr. Hyman is sharing some of the most well-researched data compiled in his new book FOOD: What the Heck Should I Eat? to help us decipher the best practices for our health and wellness. Click play, take good notes, and enjoy!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Why food is far more complex than we realize.
- How food manufacturers are growing human taste buds in laboratories (this is not good!).
- Why processed food companies’ main objective is to create “heavy users”.
- Why all calories are not created equal.
- The #1 hormone that causes you to store fat.
- How to burn the same amount of calories from running an hour a day without even leaving your couch.
- Why you don’t want to let dogma determine your health decisions.
- Why dietary restrictions on fat and cholesterol have been disappearing.
- A shocking study that found how lowering LDL cholesterol actually increases risks of heart attacks.
- The problem with research that looks at the pros and cons of specific nutrients but not the whole food itself.
- The top vegetables that Americans eat (this is concerning!).
- What critical details you need to be aware of when buying and eating your vegetables.
- Why most humans would not be safe to eat (this is funny, but true!).
- How fructose impacts your body differently than other types of sugar.
- The impact that factory farmed animal foods has on our environment and our health.
- Whether or not eating meat increases your risk of cancer.
- What a “Pegan Diet” is.
- The 5 principles that most diets can agree upon.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Squatty Potty ⇐ Get yours right here at an exclusive 15% off!
- Thrive Market Exclusive – 25% off your entire 1st order + free shipping!
- Ending Fat Controversy – With Dr. Mark Hyman – Episode 193
- The Pros & Cons Of Coconut Oil + 20 Ways To Use It – Episode 227
- McDonald’s Broke My Heart – Podcast episode from Malcolm Gladwell
- FOOD: What the Heck Should I Eat? ⇐ Get the new book here!
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!