TMHS 267: The 5 Biggest Myths About Meditation – With Light Watkins
Meditation or medication? Today, more than ever, it’s a choice that many of us have to make.
We live at a time of great distraction, and terrible health influences around every bend. When I walked into the restaurant where I’m writing this, I strolled past a glass case of desserts where there was a rice crispy bar made out of Fruity Pebbles that I swear called my name.
It’s a different world, and we have different means for coping with it. Exercise, great food, great sleep, great companionship… all of those things lean towards creating a healthy, successful life. But I feel that one of the greatest tools we have available to us still isn’t talked about enough. That’s why I wanted to do this brand new episode.
Meditation has been found to reduce your risk of heart attack (The Stroke Journal, 2009), reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression (Psychosomatic Medicine, 2009), increase focus and attention (University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2007), improve your libido (yep… The Journal of Sexual Medicine, 2009), and so much more. What medication can do all of these things? Let me answer that for you… none of them.
Why then isn’t meditation being prescribed and utilized more often? I believe it’s due to some strange stigmas we might carry about it. I know that I was apprehensive about meditation before I knew what it actually was (and experienced the benefits). There are definitely a lot of myths about meditation that we need to clear up. So, that’s why I invited on one of the best meditation teachers in the country, Light Watkins. Click play, listen deeply, and enjoy!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- The #1 way to improve your focus in a hyper distracted world.
- How meditation literally changes your brain.
- Why stereotypes exist in the world of meditation like everywhere else.
- How helping people to experience more joy is one of the major solutions for all of the civil unrest today.
- Why achieving more things doesn’t necessarily equate to happiness.
- The 5 biggest myths about meditation.
- Why meditation can mean a lot of different things to different people.
- The difference between meditation and meditative.
- The difference between monastic meditation and meditation for those who are householders.
- Why meditation is surprisingly similar to exercise.
- Why a busy mind during meditation can actually be a sign of progress (you have to hear this!).
- What the E.A.S.Y. approach to meditation is.
- The logical reason why comfort during meditation is so important.
- Why there’s similar stigmas about meditation and dieting.
- How meditation can be so impactful on sleep quality.
- Whether or not it’s ideal to meditate right before bed.
- How meditation can influence patience and awareness.
- Why the progress in meditation happens outside of meditation.
- Why meditation is the only thing that can refund you your time back (this is fascinating!).
- What spontaneous right action is.
- Why it’s more than ok to experience unhappiness and negative emotions.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/Model <== Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off
- Organifi.com ⇐ Use the coupon code model for 20% off
- Conversations with God – Neale Donald Walsch
- How Stress Can Make Us Fat, Dumb, & Unhappy – Episode 45
- Bliss More ⇐ Get the new book right here!
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on iTunes by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!