Everything in the universe moves. Even the most laidback tree is made of atoms that are vibrating and spinning faster than your eyes can see. They move within and without the earth. They help to shape their environment, and, amazingly, their environment helps to shape them.
It might surprise you to know just how much like a tree you really are. You are, indeed, a mover and shaker within your environment, but your environment helps to move you too. As biomechanist Katy Bowman has shared with us in past conversations, your environment actually shapes your body. That body that you have (take a look down at all of that glory for a second) has been shaped by your actions and environmental stimuli. Your body is best equipped to handle the consistent loads that are placed on it. Whether it from the subtle forces of your office chair or the more obvious forces of a barbell on your shoulders. Your body is your receipt from the loads you’ve experienced. For better or for worse, this is how the system works.
Today we’re going to take things a step further (pun totally intended) as Katy reveals to you the other hidden, yet profound ways that your environment moves you. As you’ll discover today, science moves, nature moves, and food moves in a way that shapes our reality as we know it. Movement matters today more than ever, so take these insights and walk into a more empowered way of life. Enjoy!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- What it means to be a willing student.
- What drove Katy to live the science she was learning (when so few scientist do).
- Why science moves and how rigid science beliefs can cause “overuse injuries”.
- How fixed views can encourage dismissive (and even violent) responses.
- What your movement fingerprint is.
- How humans have psychologically displaced themselves from nature.
- Why a Twinkie isn’t as unnatural as we thought.
- Why nutrition facts are interesting, but don’t have much functionality in the natural world.
- How humans are very much like trees (physically and metaphysically).
- Why human movement is bound to food.
- The #1 way to move more, eat better, and support the planet all at the same time.
- Specific tips to move more for your meals (and make your meals radically healthier!).
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/Model <== Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off
- Connect with Katy Bowman Instagram / Website / Podcast
- Prince Ea Interview – The Model Health Show
- Can We Autocorrect Humanity by Prince Ea
- Move Your DNA with Katy Bowman – The Model Health Show
- Don’t Just Sit There with Katy Bowman – The Model Health Show
- Movement Matters by Katy Bowman ⇐ Get the book!
- Ettitude Organic Bamboo Lyocell Sheets ⇐ Pick yours up here now!
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!