Subscribe to The Model Health Show:
TMHS 104: How to Increase Your Health & Happiness Thermostat with Gretchen Rubin
There’s a wonderful quote from James Openheim that says, “The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance; the wise grows it under his feet.”
This statement speaks to the reality that many of us live in in which we constantly seek happiness “someday” once our prerequisites for happiness are met.
Once I get the right job I’ll be happy. Once I get the right partner I’ll be happy. Once I graduate I’ll be happy. Once I make more money I’ll be happy. Once I start a family I’ll be happy. Once my kids are grown and successful I’ll be happy. Once I retire I’ll be happy.
These are just some of the things that we’ll tell ourselves (often unconsciously) that set the thermostat for exactly how happy we’ll be in our day-to-day lives.
The harsh reality is this:
None of these things will intrinsically bring you happiness, and ALL of these things come along with issues, challenges, and conditions of their own that will likely cause you to push happiness off, yet again, to the future.
If your emotional state is always based on your circumstances, life has an interesting way of pushing things off and continuing to dangle the happiness carrot in front of your face, even when you get what you think you really wanted.
Bottomline, happiness is a choice, a practice, and moldable system within itself. It’s a feeling you always have access to. And there are certain things you can do in your life, starting now, to boost the level of your happiness thermostat.
Today you’re going to hear from Gretchen Rubin, author of the New York Times bestselling book The Happiness Project.
She’s made happiness a study, and it’s paying off big time for people young, old, and everywhere in between. You can be happier now, and she’s going to share the proven tips to help you do it.
But why does boosting our level of happiness matter anyway? Well, according to the research, happier people tend to be more successful, they tend to have better relationships, they tend to have better health and fitness, and they tend to be of greater service in their communities and the world at large.
To make it simple, it’s just a little bit easier to take action in our lives when we have a happy disposition. It’s not true in 100 percent of the situations in our lives, but feeling good definitely gives us an edge.
Abraham Lincoln said, “Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.” It’s time for you to take the power of your own happiness in your hands and truly enjoy the health and happiness you deserve.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Why health and happiness are intimately connected.
- How we can get a surprising boost of joy from clearing out clutter.
- How utilizing the sense of smell can instantly boost happiness.
- Why sleep deprivation can be a big trigger for negative emotions.
- How your body can get a “second wind” of energy even when you’re tired.
- Whether or not your level of happiness is genetic.
- Why negative emotions are extremely important for happiness (if you use them correctly!)
- How happiness relates to contribution.
- How novelty and new challenges can impact your happiness.
- What you can do to push through barriers you’re faced with on your road to happiness.
- How structuring your day a certain way can bring you more happiness.
- Why playtime is vital to your health.
- Whether or not money can actually buy happiness (this may surprise you!)
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/Model <== Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off!
- The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
- Better Than Before – by Gretchen Rubin
- Sleep Smarter – by Shawn Stevenson
- Happier With Gretchen Rubin (iTunes / Stitcher)
- 4 Steps To Fast Track Your Results – Model Health Podcast
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!
HEALTHY MEALS EVERYONE WILL LOVE
The Greatest Gift You Can Give Your Family is Health
When you gather your family around the table to share nutritious food, you’re not only spending quality time with them - you’re setting them up for success in all areas of their lives.
The Eat Smarter Family Cookbook is filled with 100 delicious recipes, plus the latest science to support the mental, physical and social health of your loved ones.