Conventional wisdom would tell you that there are only two types of foods: foods that are good for you and foods that are bad for you. The truth is, there is a whole lot of grey area when it comes to the foods that we eat.
There are certain foods that provide us with key, valuable nutrients, but also come packaged with some straight up poisons. Our job is to be able to weigh the cost-benefit analysis, and select the foods that provide us with the most benefit and least downside. Hopefully, also, we experience the immense joy of eating along the way. Because, at the end of the day, that’s another important part of food that really makes it all worth it.
Today we’re diving into which foods are the best and worst for your brain. And there’s no better person on the planet to break it down for us than Dr. David Perlmutter. He’s one of the most decorated MDs in the country, and the only Board-Certified Neurologist with the distinction of being a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition as well.
We’re also going to cover the surprising benefits of cholesterol. This compound has enabled the growth of a multi-billion dollar statin drug industry. But, as you’ll discover, our society definitely went barking up the wrong tree (and that tree has fallen right on top of many of us). This is incredibly important information to get your hands on. So, just click play, take good notes, and enjoy!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Where the governing force of every cell in your body resides.
- The surprising economic cost of brain diseases.
- How a carbohydrate-dominant diet directly impacts rates of Alzheimer’s disease.
- The truth about what an optimal blood sugar level should be.
- What glycation is.
- How your A1C level relates to brain shrinkage (you need to know this!).
- How insulin deeply influences your brain.
- Why many of us are “eating for a winter that never shows up.”
- The incredible impact that brain derived neurotropic factor (BDNF) has on your health.
- One of the best ways to boost your body’s production of BDNF.
- How sleep deprivation significantly influences the health of your brain.
- Why a brain healthy diet isn’t just good for your brain.
- Specific compounds in wheat that create inflammation and damage your brain.
- How wheat creates an addictive response in the brain.
- Why testing negative for celiac disease does NOT mean that gluten isn’t causing severe damage.
- How a gluten-free diet can actually increase your risk of certain diseases.
- What the #1 causative factor for chronic disease is.
- The incredible benefits of cholesterol (this is important!).
- How one of the most popular drugs in the world for protecting the heart actually INCREASES heart problems.
- The benefits of the omega 3 fatty acid DHA.
- Why you need to be cautious eating farm-raised fish.
- Which tests you can use to uncover a gluten sensitivity.
- How to intelligently replace gluten-containing foods in your diet.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/Model <== Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off
- Organifi.com ⇐ Use the coupon code model for 20% off
- The Dangers of Gluten-Free Reloaded – Episode 233
- Grain Brain ⇐ Get the NY Times bestseller!
- Connect with Dr. Perlmutter Website / Facebook
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!