Are your food choices really determined by you?
In a way, yes. You are the one that has full responsibility of driving that body of yours around. But in another way, no. If you look a little closer, you’ll see that the roads you have been driving on were set up in a way that makes your decisions less conscious… robotic even. Your vehicle (that amazing body of yours) has been wired to eat in a certain way. And you’re probably not the one who did the initial wiring.
If this brings to mind the scene in The Matrix where Neo wakes up all covered in goo, and hooked to wires that have been draining his life-force, then good. That was such an awesome scene. I’m not talking about that kind of wiring though.
I’m talking about the internal wiring. How your brain and nervous system are wired up to automate behaviors. Believe it or not, you don’t come here with a lot of advanced programming set up. Sure, you have all the basics: eating, crying, laughing, pooping (oh, how many diapers I’ve changed!). You don’t have to work very hard to do those things. But, and this is a big but, what you are fed, what you cry about, what you laugh about, and what you are pooping out can be very different depending on how you’re programmed. And that’s where your wake up call is going to begin.
Recently we are realizing far more that it’s not so much that diseases are inherited. Sure, we can carry genes for an array of chronic illnesses from our parents. However, research is finding that over 80% percent of those genes are largely under our control (specifically under the control of our lifestyle choices). So, again, it’s not so much that diseases are inherited, but our family’s cookbooks and eating habits are inherited. And that’s how we initially get wired to eat.
Today New York Times bestselling author (and modern day superhero) Robb Wolf is on the show to talk about some of this internal wiring. Most importantly, he’s got the tools, insights, and strategies to reprogram yourself to make the food decisions that really serve you. Plus, he’s going to show you how the variety and enjoyment from food in your life can be personalized. This is vital stuff, so click play, climb out of the mental goo, and enjoy!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Which unique foods is proven to enhance stem cell genesis.
- What enabled Robb to go from chronic illness (and potential removal of part of his intestines) to remarkable health and fitness in just a matter of months.
- How Robb opened up the very first Crossfit Affiliate gym in the country.
- Why your environment matters just as much as your diet.
- The chronic family health issue that inspired Robb to test out a Paleo-type diet.
- What neuroregulation of appetite is.
- Why some people are better off eating a cookie than a banana (wait, what?).
- How professional eating competitors hack their appetite.
- What vanishing calories and hyperpalatable foods are.
- Why gut bacteria need to be considered with our food choices.
- What personalized nutrition is and why it’s important.
- How to intelligently alter meals so that everyone in the family eats what’s best for them.
- Surprising insights about kid’s eating habits for parents who want their kids to eat healthy.
- The vast benefits and potential pitfalls with a ketogenic diet.
- How community and relationships play a powerful role in health and wellness.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/Model <== Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off
- Organifi.com ⇐ Use the coupon code model for 20% off
- Carb-Cycling – With guest Michael Morelli
- Creating Powerful Relationships – With Guest John Gray
- The Paleo Solution
- Connect with Robb on Instagram / Twitter / Website
- Wired To Eat ⇐ Get the new book here!
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!