Subscribe to The Model Health Show:
TMHS 121: Changing Our Relationship with Food, Overcoming Bulimia & Recipes that Will Change Your Life with George Bryant
Eating food is one of the most intimate things that we’ll ever experience in life. You are literally taking something from outside of yourself and deciding (consciously or unconsciously) to make it a part of you.
If we’re asleep to the real power of food, we won’t realize that every-single-thing we eat is changing every-single-cell in our bodies. Your genes, your DNA, your upwards of 100 trillion cells, are all in action to convert that chosen food into more you.
Now, here’s the real kicker of the situation…
You get to CHOOSE what you’re made out of. You can make yourself out of the most vitalizing, storied, health-giving foods in the world – or you can make yourself out of Honey Buns, Fruit Loops, Cheetos, and Skittles.
Grass-fed steak, bananas, or bagels… the choice is always up to you.
Now, that can be incredibly empowering, or incredibly scary depending on where your mindset is at.
Navigating this world of food today takes a special kind of awareness and heart. That’s why we brought on our special guest today, because he’s all heart, he developed awareness through experience, and he can make you a meal that will bring tears to your eyes (like that single tear rolling down your cheek seen only in a movie scene).
Our guest today is New York Times bestselling author George Bryant (also known as the man behind Civilized Caveman Cooking). Today is going to be a real treat because the Civilized Caveman himself is here to share his story and his secrets with you.
We’re going to talk about our crucial relationship with food, overcoming eating disorders, deeply impacting the lives of others, recipes that will change your life, plus a whole lot more.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- How you can be a master in the kitchen in a lot less time than you think.
- Why a “degree” is not the solution to helping people.
- Why the food you make yourself and your family matters more than anything.
- What a triggering event means in relationship to eating disorders.
- What some of the symptoms of bulimia really are.
- How George was able to finally overcome bulimia (this is a powerful story!)
- Why authenticity, congruency, and vulnerability are essential to long-term success.
- How to make S.M.A.R.T. commitments to yourself and others.
- Why it’s important to speak up in order to gain support in our lives.
- How our relationship with food shapes our life.
- Why an obsession with eating healthy can also be problematic.
- How our perception of food creates our experience of eating.
- What some of the Civilized Caveman’s favorite recipes are (you don’t want to miss this!)
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/Model – Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off!
- Shawn Stevenson on Instagram
- The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
- Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson
- Dear Bulimia, You fought hard but I WON
- The Paleo Kitchen by George Bryant and Juli Bauer
- George Bryant on Instagram
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcast by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!
HEALTHY MEALS EVERYONE WILL LOVE
The Greatest Gift You Can Give Your Family is Health
When you gather your family around the table to share nutritious food, you’re not only spending quality time with them - you’re setting them up for success in all areas of their lives.
The Eat Smarter Family Cookbook is filled with 100 delicious recipes, plus the latest science to support the mental, physical and social health of your loved ones.