How often do you read good fiction books? There was a stretch of maybe half a decade where I, although an avid reader, avoided reading any fiction because I believed that it was not productive. I read countless nutrition books, books on fitness, books on personal development, and more. They all contained a lot of facts and theories (which were great) but I was missing on something really special for my life.
Luckily, a few years back after the poking and prodding or several people, I picked up a book called The Alchemist and it shined a bright light in a part of my mind that I had been neglecting. Little did I know that there was significant research touting the benefits of reading fiction. You can see marked changes in the brain, bolstered creativity, and so much more that the average person isn’t informed about. My rekindled love of fiction eventually led me to one of my favorite authors, Dan Millman, which is why I’m so excited to share this with you today! One of Dan’s books, that I read several years ago, still sits on my nightstand to this day (well, until I picked it up and brought it to the studio with me to record this).
Thanks to Dan and other amazing authors, I’ve been able to foster new connections in my mind, paint more vibrant pictures than ever before, and I know it’s helped me to connect and relate with others so much more. If you’re not reading fiction books every now and then, I think this will be very inspirational in you doing so. Whether it’s physical books or audiobooks, storytelling (and story listening) is one of the things that makes us more human, and keeps our minds open to the possibility of everything. Dan is a remarkable person with a remarkable story. So, just click play, listen deeply, and soak it all in. Enjoy!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- The surprising benefits that reading fiction has on your brain.
- Why it’s important to be strong in multiple directions.
- What luck really is.
- What inspired Dan to write book that imbues fiction with autobiography.
- What it means to be a Peaceful Warrior.
- How paradox exists in all aspects of our lives.
- Why embracing the concept of change can quickly transform your life.
- Why comparing yourself to others can lead to suffering and how today’s social media explosion can add even more fuel to the fire.
- How self-acceptance can be a way to inner peace.
- Why everything you do matters.
- How giving up can still lead to success (as long as you do this one key thing!).
- What Dan does to stay vital and healthy at 71-years old (he’s still doing handstands and somersaults!).
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/Model <== Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off
- Organifi.com ⇐ Use the coupon code model for 20% off
- The Way of the Peaceful Warrior
- Peaceful Warrior – Movie
- Everyday Enlightenment
- The Hidden School
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!